Statement on Our Academic Activities in China
Recently, it was learned that the Yuan Ye Summit Forum which was planned to be held in Shanghai on January cancelled. We were shocked to acknowledge that the Shanghai Society of Landscape Architecture issued a boycott document on January 2, stating untruth words on Asian Landscape Architecture Society and Ms. Wang Xiaolin. The document intermingled exchange and cooperation of the international landscape architecture industry.
Hereby, we make statement as below:
1. At the end of December 2018, we learned that the Chinese government issued Overseas NGO Law at 2017. We fully respect it and we will file for documentation and carry out activities in strict accordance with the law. If there were any discrepancies with the relevant laws and regulations, it was caused by our unintelligence. We have no intention to violate deliberately. And we will take responsibility.
2. The Asian Landscape Architecture Society is a legally registered NGO whose mission is to actively organize academic exchanges and cooperation to promote the prosperity and development of the Asian landscape architecture industry. China has made remarkable achievements in the landscape architecture industry in recent decades. The Society is willing to provide opportunities and platforms to share the Chinese experience with Asian counterparts.
3. It needs to clarify that the Shanghai Society of Landscape Architecture declared in the official document "ALAS was established after Taiwan was forced to withdraw from the International Federation of Landscape Architects (IFLA)", which is unreal. Ms. Wang Xiaolin has kept good relation with many Provinces and Cities’ landscape organizations in China, and she devoted herself into the landscape architecture academic exchanges between Taiwan and the mainland, as well as with Asian countries.
4. Yuan Ye is a monograph of ancient Chinese gardening. It has played a significant role in the world landscape theories. CHLA.COM.CN has launched the Yuan Ye Award to promote Chinese traditional gardening art and craftsmanship. Yuan Ye Summit Forum has successfully held 8 years in a row and it has become an annual industry event in Asia. It is totally in line with ALAS chapter and mission to support and participate Yuan Ye activities. We are willing to strengthen communication and exchanges with all Chinese landscape architecture associations, including the Shanghai Society of Landscape Architecture. At the same time, we hope that the Shanghai Society of Landscape Architecture will stop and put an end to all the activities that may damage the normal exchanges between the landscape architecture.
5. ALAS fully respects the Chinese government's ideas of peaceful reunification and foreign policy, and promotes mutual learning and cooperation in the future international landscape communication.
Asian Landscape Architecture Society
January 7, 2019
三、需要澄清的是: 上海市風景園林學會在正式文件中宣稱“ALAS是在臺灣被迫退出國際風景園林師聯合會（IFLA) 後成立的”，這與事實不符。王小璘女士長期以來與中國許多省市的園林行業組織有著友好關係, 一直致力於臺灣和大陸間以及亞洲各國風景園林界的學術交流。