Getting Down To Crass Tax

933 Cantrell StreetCharles Sherd lives on Cantwell Street in South Philadelphia. His property would resemble this one, a residence few people would deem a spacious single. Now, thanks to the Democrats, Charles can be taxed like he owns one.

[Charles Sherd's home] has been consistently valued at $12,000, but after a city-wide reassessment, it’s now valued at $116,700. He’s worried about his property taxes in 2014.

“It is a lot for a person to do in one year, I can’t afford this,” Sherd says. And he’s not alone. Many Philadelphia residents who reside in or near up-and-coming hot spots, are seeing their assessed values skyrocket after this re-evaluation.

So the city either undervalued the homes or ignored the tax assessments FOR YEARS – an act which on its face should be criminal. Now they are demanding all the new taxes immediately. This, my friends, is the direct result of 70+ years of uninterrupted Democrat rule.

In fairness, City Councilman Mark Squilla is trying to diffuse the new taxes over a four-year period, but if you think his fellow councilmen will go for that, you don’t know Philadelphia.

10 thoughts on “Getting Down To Crass Tax

1. AndyN

Yes, the city has been undervaluing his property for decades. Shouldn’t we be lauding them for finally correcting their mistake rather than chastising them for not sticking to it?

I’m pretty sure I’ve been hearing for years that Philly has been reassessing property. Perhaps a prudent homeowner would have been budgeting as if he was going to have to pay taxes on the actual value of his home. If the tax burden really is too much to bear, I’ll be more than happy to take Mr. Sherd’s house off his hands for the $12k he wants the city to believe it’s worth.

Andy nailed it. When I bought my new house, I was only being taxed on the property not the house for almost 3 years. I knew it was going to catch up eventually and it did. I got a $13,000 tax bill. They gave me a year to pay it, but I had been saving so it was not a big deal.

Talk about a jump in assessed value. I’d fight it, if it was me. Of course I haven’t lived in Philly for almost 20 years, and really don’t miss the Philly wage tax. But I do miss the good Eyetalian food (next to Mom Scrummy’s).

Agreed. Some of the Scrummy household talk is moving to points south or west (not Colorado or the West Coast).

Well for all y’all who think moving South is a good idea – I lived and worked in Manhattan for over 35 years. Then a diagnosis of cancer forced me to “retire” early and I started looking for less expensive places to live, but where high quality medical care was available and where the Cost of Living was SIGNIFICANTLY Lower.
    So I moved to Charlotte, North Carolina. Housing costs (rentals at least) are probably 70% less than anywhere in NYC. Folks are nice here, seriously – and the metro area is over one million people. Good business opportunities too. Of course a lot of those Yankees started moving down here and so costs have gone up a bit. But rental apartments (more spacious and very nice) are still about 70% less than in NYC.
    Seriously, Atlanta Georgia also has a much lower cost of living than almost any Northern City or Suburb.

Andy – How about a combination of the two? How about the city keep current with their tax assessments instead of letting the drones collect salaries for doing nothing? I’m not excusing Sherd, but having the city expect such a ridiculous paycheck immediately is ridiculous, IMO.

Ingineer66 – I think the point of this particular article is that there was never advance notice. Sherd is obviously a low-information resident, but the city should have due diligence when it comes to notifications.

Old NFO – That’s the other point. That section of South Philly is starting to boom. What better way to drive out residents by hiking their taxes?

Jim – My property taxes are ridiculous, but we expect that. It’s Philadelphia; your usual Democrat sh*thole. We’ll stay until the neighborhood goes to crap. Thankfully, my neighborhood is composed of mostly police officers and firefighters, so we should be able to repel the mongrel horde.

Roger – I’ve been to many states, but if I had a choice, I’d move to Arizona. (Although we’d really miss snow.)

Real – I like Virginia, but it is starting to turn dark blue, politically. If I’m going to move, I want to go somewhere that’s red.

6. Vicki

For the record, Erie County PA now reassesses (say that fast five times) properties every 10 years…which means I got out just in time after they reassessed my less than a half acre plot and house on a flood plain and a crappy well for way more than it was worth.

All for a school district I didn’t even live in. My parents and in-laws were pretty upset at the latest figures they got from the county.

Ohio sucks but I’m still glad I got out of PA.