Happy Birthday, Mrs. Earp!

mrs-earpToday is my lovely wife’s birthday.

When Kyle was born, she decided to give up her teaching career to stay at home and raise him. She believed – as I do – that (if financially possible) children should be raised by their parents, and not day care. I was lucky enough to have a job that paid well, and had pretty good medical coverage, so the decision was made.

She’s been raising our (now four) children for twelve years, and while I occasionally tease her about sitting on the couch all day eating bon-bons, I know she works hard.

Yesterday was another reminder…

She woke up with stabbing stomach pains that her doubled over in pain. Her mother took her to the hospital at 6:30am, I called out from work, and had to be Mr. Mom for the day. Things were more complicated by the fact that Kyle had a stomach virus, and was also home sick.

So, I had to wake everyone up, and feed them breakfast (in a word: cereal). I looked in on Kyle, and got Erik dressed and ready for school. I packed the kids (Kevin and Julia still in pajamas) into the car and took Erik to school. Rushed back home to get Julia ready, and did Dad’s best attempt at putting her hair in a ponytail. Rushed Julia off to school, and left Kevin (who was off) and Kyle at home. Ran back to give Kyle some aspirin and Kevin something to drink.

This all happened in the span of an hour. The rest of the day was equally hectic.

I write all this because I want her to know how much she works around here. I want her to know that if something ever happened to her, we would be in big trouble, because I can’t do her job. She is the glue that holds this family together, and I want her to know that I appreciate what she does here.

Today, she is spending her birthday in a hospital bed, suffering from diverticulitis.

Oh: Today is also the start of the Earp Family Birthday Marathon: three birthdays in six days.

20 thoughts on “Happy Birthday, Mrs. Earp!

1. Sally Anne

Happy Birthday to Mrs. Earp! We’re all wishing her a very speedy recovery- and four well-behaved kiddos and a clean house to return to… So get crackin’ Wyatt.

2. Robert B.

Happy Birthday Mrs. Earp! Many happy returns. Thank you for taking care of, and keeping in line, my favourite Philly Detective.

3. Jack Rackim

Happy Birthday Mrs Earp. I hope you feel better real soon. Birthdays are very special and I’ve always believed they should be treated as such.
    Wyatt, thank you for sharing this special day with us.
    Jack

4. Dr. Evil

All the best to Mrs. Earp. I know a similar Diverticulitis pain well. May she recover quickly!

And may the kids behave for Wyatt. If there’s an issue, Dr. Evil is on call 24/7.

5. bob (either orr)

Birthday wishes for all the Earps and best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery for Mrs. Earp.
    As always, Wyatt, roll safe.

6. DocRambo

Didn’t someone once say,”Life is what happens when you’re making other plans?” Good luck getting through this next week.

7. loaded dice in vegas

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…..

You are a very lucky man………

Happy Birthday, Mrs. Saint Earp……..

Howdy Wyatt, and Happy Birthday wishes to your lovely Bride!

I too have diverticulosis which developed into diverticulitis. Fortunately, they were able to treat it with anti-biotics and didn’t need to perform surgery. I pray VERY often, that the same is true of Mrs. Earp.
    The most recent former Mrs. realwest also suffered from diverticulitis and they had to perform surgery on her – please God let Mrs. Earp be spared that ordeal.

And as with AZ Kevin, please keep us updated on her condition.

Best of luck to Mrs. Earp. I also had that for awhile not as bad but painful at times. I called it ‘diver-ridicul-itis’ since it felt ridiculous to be in that much pain seemingly out of the blue. My gall bladder was also starting to pack with gall stones that weren’t passing out at that time, its gone now too.

10. He Said His Telephone Number Was 911

Happy Birthday, and a speedy recovery to you, Mrs Erp. Get well soon. Hang in the Wyatt.

11. proof

Wyatt: Although it is obvious that you “married up”, I have to give you kudos for the lengths you go to, to get your wife breakfast in bed on her birthday! (Even if it is not your own bed!)

Give my regards to the missus and wishes for a speedy recovery.

12. Jim

Happy Birthday Mrs. Earp! After yesterday and this morming it can only get better. Make him wait on you hand and foot for a while. You deserve it.