By Wyatt Earp | April 17, 2011
That has to be the most rational explanation, right? The only other explanation is that Holder’s Department of Justice – a joke, even by Washington D.C. standards – is refusing to prosecute an entire new genre of cases.
Someone needs to tell the AG that he cannot pick and choose cases.
Of course, if I know Holder’s DoJ, he is probably waiting to go after adult films that only feature white actors.
The catalyst for a renewed fight over pornography is a recent, little-noticed move by Attorney General Eric Holder to shutter the Obscenity Prosecution Task Force, a special Justice Department unit set up during the Bush administration under pressure from conservatives upset about the proliferation of obscene material on the Internet. Critics say the decision reflects a lack of interest in prosecuting such cases.
“Attorney General Holder told the Judiciary Committee last year that this task force was the centerpiece of the strategy to combat adult obscenity,” Sen. Orrin Hatch [said on] Friday. “Rather than initiate a single new case since President Obama took office, however, the only development in this area has been the dismantling of the task force.
Now don’t get me wrong; I couldn’t care less if the government cracks down on porn and other “obscenities.” I do care, however, when the Department of Justice fails to do its job. And lack of prosecution has been a cornerstone of Holder’s regime.