“We Will Accept Nothing Less Than Full Victory”

Approaching Omaha Beach

Sixty-nine years ago today, Allied forces took the first step to liberate France from tyranny.

The cost of the Normandy campaign was high for both sides. From D-Day to 21 August, the Allies landed 2,052,299 men in northern France. There were around 209,672 Allied casualties from 6 June to the end of August, around 10% of the forces landed in France. The casualties break down to 36,976 killed, 153,475 wounded and 19,221 missing.

Split between the Army Groups, the Anglo-Canadian Army Group suffered 16,138 killed, 58,594 wounded and 9,093 missing for a total of 83,825 casualties. The US Army Group suffered 20,838 killed, 94,881 wounded and 10,128 missing for a total of 125,847 casualties.

To these casualties it should be added that 4,101 aircraft were lost and 16,714 airmen were killed or missing in direct connection to Operation Overlord. Thus total Allied casualties total 226,386 men. (H/TWikipedia)

Freedom isn’t free, my friends. Please remember those heroic men and women who participated in “the longest day.”

10 thoughts on ““We Will Accept Nothing Less Than Full Victory”

Howdy Wyatt – Just wanted to thank you for this post. I imagine a number of conservative or “right wing” bloggers will note this anniversary, but I’ll bet it barely gets a passing mention from the MSM.

Freedom is indeed NOT FREE.

Yep, I think that’s about right. I cannot imagine the terror and fear those brave troops and sailors and airmen faced, but they did face up to it and because of that we are still Free.

Its been said of our current military, and properly so, “Where do we find people like these” – and Lord knows it was certainly true of those men on D-Day.

Thanks again, Wyatt.

2. Dr. Evil

Could you imagine if we had to perform an operation like that today? 10% casualties, 36,000+ dead. Media would go nuts and criticize everything. I appreciate the sacrifice these men made, and if we had to do it again today in a similar situation, all for it. If they’d take me, I’d be in.

Oh…it’s also my sister’s birthday today and I am getting my final tooth repaired from an injury a year ago!

3. Dr. Evil

almost forget…the past four years Obambi has said NOTHING to honor these men. Let’s see if his testicles have dropped yet and give these men the credit they DAMN well deserve.

My uncle was part of the air drop and due to the horror of all the men who died in glider crashes, being shot from the sky with AAA as they dropped, captured upon landing and being summarily executed on the spot especially by SS units, he very seldom talked about it to other family members. God Bless ALL of them and their courage.
    As time passed, they would have their revenge.

5. AjdShootist

I remember being on holiday in Gernsay in the Channel Isles when the film The Longest Day came out
    my late father took me to see the film and i remember him telling me war was hell next day we visited the German Underground Hospital spooky or what!

I can remember watching for the first time The Longest Day, on June 6, 1974. What was cool is that my parents let me stay up past 9 PM (bedtime for the little Scrum) and see the whole movie, a first for me. The second coolest thing was during some of the TV station breaks (it was shown on a local station), they would do in studio interviews with 3 D-Day vets. For my birthday, which is a few days later I used some of my birthday money to buy my first book on D-Day. To this day I am still amazed as to what happened at Omaha Beach and Pointe Du Hoc. Not trying to take away anything from the vets of Utah, Gold, Sword or Juno Beaches, but Omaha was the linchpin of the whole operation on D-Day. What men. Soon none will be around, they will be missed. Thank you.

7. formwiz

If you’ve never read the book, do so.

And read Samuel Eliot Morison’s “The Invasion of France and Germany”. He saw just about every major american landing in WWII and nothing was worse than Omaha.